The cost segregation landscape has evolved significantly over that past few years. Now more than ever, property owners and accounting firms are seeking to work with established cost segregation specialists such as Bedford.
One of the most significant developments in recent years came from the American Society of Cost Segregation Professionals (ASCSP). In 2009 the ASCSP introduced the first set of industry standards and the first ever professional certifications for cost segregation professionals. Selecting a firm which has employees who are Certified ASCSP members is an important consideration when selecting a cost segregation provider.
Top 10 Questions when Evaluating a Cost Seg Provider
- How long has your firm been performing cost segregation studies?
- How many cost segregation studies has your firm completed?
- Does your firm employ degreed or professional engineers with specific
cost segregation experience?
- Does your firm employ tax experts with specific cost segregation
- Does your firm employ any ASCSP Certified Cost Segregation
Professionals and if so, what role do they play?
- Are your studies performed using a detailed engineering-based approach, and
do they comply with ASCSP standards?
- Does your firm subcontract any of the cost segregation study to a third
- Does your provider carry professional liability insurance for cost
- How does your firm defend its work in the event of an audit, if at all?
- Ask for references and follow up with them.
Contact a Bedford team member today to lean more about our industry leading cost segregation team and find out why property owners and tax professionals nationwide rely on Bedford for their cost segregation needs.